Thursday, October 23, 2014

Training Your Brain For A Competition

I coach a lot of beginner lifters that have their first meet coming up next week. I've fielded a lot of questions and eased a lot of minds about what to expect the last few days.

There have been a lot of articles written about meet prep but I haven't seen many about how to train your brain for a competition. My good friend Adrienne suggested I make a post about it so here it is!

Let's get metaphysical

Do Things You Hate


Well you weightlift so safe to say you hate yourself a little bit already. That's a joke guys. Sort of. I mean think about it: You're competing in a sport where I'm sure you've cursed the barbell more times than not. That barbell can chew you up and spit you right out if you're not ready. 



When I first started competitive lifting over a decade ago I would make myself so nervous that I threw up before every meet. Then I decided to just make myself really uncomfortable a lot in training so that on meet day I was prepared for anything that would happen.

 I don't recommend doing these things all the time but try them out from time to time. 

1. Lift around people who really annoy you on a day you have a hard session planned. Learn to block out their negative energy. 



2. Don't like lifting with people around you? Get used to it.  After all at a meet you're going to have a host of judges around you and (hopefully) a crowd. If you are about to lift and someone is standing in your eyeline, don't wait for them to move. Make your lift. Of course use your judgement on their proximal distance from you so no one dies. And if you're the guy always standing in people's eyelines no one likes you and you probably won't be missed. Again that is a total joke. No hate mail please. 


All eyes will be on you. Get used to feeling that. Photo: Tim Addison


3. Only like lifting with people around you? Take a solo session if you can. Learn to be alone with your thoughts. They will be racing on meet day. Learn how that feels. 


Welcome to your game day. Learn to stand alone. Photo: Tim Addison


4. If you always listen to music training take a day and don't listen to any. Guess how much plays when you are on a platform? Generally absolutely none. You can also listen to a genre that you despise for a set or two. If you don't listen to music try listening to some one day. In a nutshell just do the opposite of normal. 




5. Everyone and their mom just loves to wear singlets right? Get over it and wear it at least once a week. Don't put shorts or pants on over it. Don't put a shirt on over it (unless you plan to wear one under it at a meet). Get used to lifting in it and having all eyes on you while you do it. If anyone cracks a joke remind them that you're preparing for a meet and ask when they are competing in one. If that backfires show them the Leonardo DiCaprio picture. 


If you get involved in a fisticuffs match with singlet hater say this to the authorities. Disclaimer: don't get involved in a fisticuffs match. 

6. increase your heart rate and then try to lower it quickly as you approach the bar. You never know what will happen on a platform. Maybe you'll have to rush over to it (unlikely with a good coach but crazy things happen so prep for it). Maybe you'll have to follow yourself. 

Learn to breathe with purpose. I used to jump around before bench press attempts and slap myself to increase my adrenaline and try to come down before sitting down because that was my weakest lift and it made me nervous. It worked. I went 3/3 in the following meets on that lift. 

Get focused and breathe



7. Prepare for mishaps. Take the bar and the attempt as it is some days. What does that mean? Don't reset the bar if hits the squat rack on the way out. Breathe and take the attempt. Get out of your head. Bar not perfectly centered on the platform? So what. Lift it anyway without readjusting it. 

If you do have a funny mishap, Bob Saget wants to see it



Do Things You Love

Making yourself uncomfortable works wonders for your psyche but sometimes you have to do things that make you feel warm and fuzzy inside too. I recommend doing these throughout your training but especially meet week. 

1. Lift with your friends. Training can be fun. There's a time and a place to laugh during sessions too. You'll need a lot of laughter the week of your meet if you're nervous. 

Mississippi Barbell athletes training one Saturday


Coach Tyler giving real time feedback, complete with jokes, to athlete George

2. Get a sports massage or some soft tissue work done by your local licensed chiropractor. 

We use Clayton Pitts off Lakeland behind Primos at Norville Chiropractic



3. Get a manicure and/or pedicure. I don't know what the male equivalent of this would be. Get your beard trimmed?

Say this immediately after your nails are done. Draw out the "a" or it doesn't count. 

4. Take a bubble bath or Epsom salt bath. Male or female: bust out that Mr. Bubble and relax your brain. 



Have A Routine 

Routine is good. With routine comes autopilot that will kick in when you need it. 

1. Approach the bar the same way every time. On game day do the same. You'll have tunnel vision and go off that autopilot. For snatch and clean and jerk I look down at the ground and walk to the bar. I continue to look down so I don't see the sea of faces around me. I set my feet up how I always do, get my grip positioned right, and don't look up until I'm ready to pull. For my squats in powerlifting I do the same. I look at the bar on the horizon though. I get under the bar the same way every time, step out the same way, and let my body do what it does best. 


Try not to call anyone "Surely" either


2. Routinely hit weights or attempt to hit weights that make you nervous. Feel the nerves at practice. On game day you'll know what you're capable of and it won't be as bad as you think. 




3. Time your rest between attempts and gear it towards what type of meet you are attending. Depending on the size and type of meet you may get your attempts quickly or you may be waiting for a while. Do your research and plan for both. 



If you wear this clock at a meet you will become my new best friend. Hat optional. 

4. Practice what you'll do at the meet. Know your warm ups before going into a meet. Don't wing it on that day. Have a mock meet. Eat the same foods you eat in training; if you don't you may spend all morning in the bathroom. Train around the same time as you will be lifting when you can. Time zones are killer. Adjust accordingly. I recommend getting yourself a coach to figure all of this out for you. You should just go lift. Don't even worry about the rest if you have a competent coach. 


Don't let this be you

Iron Lesson: Prepare your mind like you prepare your body for a meet and you'll be fine. Find a competent coach who has meet experience if you can. If you can't then do all the research you can and ask questions to anyone who will listen. You're competing in a meet and that's more than most people can say. Everyone loves to talk but you're the one walking the walk. Own it. 


Yes that's Albert Einstein

No comments:

Post a Comment